The Nikon D3500 is the best and most popular entry-level Nikon DSLR camera. It has a very compact, small, and lightweight body with a 24.2-megapixel APS-C sensor that produce very high-quality images. It also has remarkable 1,550-shot battery life with a budget-friendly price. It combines high-quality images, the ideal body and the cheapest price together which makes it the best choice for beginners to get started in photography. You can see the best Nikon D3500 bundles and Nikon D3400 Bundles out there with reviews.
The lens is one of the main factors that affect the quality of your images, even more than the camera itself. So investing in good lenses is a lot better than upgrading your DSLR as long as it enough to handle your needs to improve your photography skills and turn the image in your mind into a real shot. Once you try out some new lenses you will begin to realize the real Nikon D3500 and Nikon D3400 capabilities.
There are many lenses available for the Nikon D3500 and Nikon D3400 so choosing the right lens for a specific kind of photography is important to give you the optimal result. So we picked up the most important lenses for beginners and starters they must try to increase their skills and explore more possibilities for different types of photography.
If this is the first time you buy a lens, read this Nikon Lenses buying guide to get familiar with lenses specifications.
1. Nikon 35mm F1.8G Lens – Best Portrait Lens For Nikon D3500 & D3400
If this is the first time you buy a lens and don’t know where to start, the Nikon 35mm F1.8G is a great start. it’s one of the best affordable lenses and the favorite lens for many photographers for FX and DX-format DSLRs. Despite its small size, its results are astounding and can be used as a prime lens for everyday shots at a very reasonable price.
The Nikon 35mm produce clear, sharp and color balanced images with f/1.8G maximum aperture offer a great result in low light places without using high ISO setting and provide the beautifully blurred backgrounds with great depth of field control makes it excellent for professional portrait photography.
Similar to most Nikon lenses, the Nikon 35mm F1.8G body is made of tough plastic with a metal mount. The overall surface and texture feel pretty solid.
The lens has FIXED focal length at 35mm and the Nikon D3500 and D3400 have 1.5 crop factor so using it with this camera makes the actual focal length is 53mm.
The lens’s auto-focus is fully compatible with the Nikon D3500 & D3400 feature Nikon’s Silent Wave Motor at a decent speed but the VR feature is missing. The M/A (Manual Focus) mode gives you the ability to override the auto-focus by turning the focus ring.
Nikon 35mm F1.8G VS Nikon 50mm F1.8G Which One Is Better?
The Nikon 50mm F1.8G is the main competitor of this lens. Both are similar with only focal length diffraction. Use your standard 18-55mm lens at both 35mm and 50mm focal length to determine which lens will be better for your needs.
- F Mount Lens/DX Format. Picture Angle with Nikon DX Format 44 degree
- 52.5 millimeter (35 millimeter Equivalent). Rear Focusing; Manual Focus Override
- Aperture Range: f/1.8 to 22 ; Dimensions(approx.):Approx. 70 x 52.5 millimeter
- Silent Wave Motor AF System. Accepts filter type is screw on
- Compatible formats is dx and fx in dx crop mode.Maximum Reproduction Ratio:0.16x
2. Nikon AF-S DX 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR – Best All-In-One Lens
The NIKKOR 18-140mm is one of the most useful Nikon lenses at a reasonable price for beginners who don’t want to break their budget on one lens. It fit almost every type of photography like portraits, architectural, and great for travel photography. Note that this is all in one lens so using the right lens for these types of photography will give you a more professional result.
The 18-140mm zoom range is very useful to have a good sight to take great shots, whether it close subjects or reasonably far without the need to stop and change the lens to capture the scenes that require a quick reaction.
Reduce the zoom to get an 18mm wide-angle perspective that is ideal for landscape photography, groups of people, or anytime you need to put more in the photo frame. Or increase the zoom up to 140 mm to capture close-ups of your favorite far objects. Then you have the standard view similar to what you see with your eyes and medium close views that are ideal for personal photos.
If you are looking for a distinctive lens that serves several uses that you can use on your camera in all cases and easy to carry a decent price, the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR is the perfect choice for you.
- Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens
- F-Mount Lens/DX Format
- 27-210mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Aperture Range: f/3.5 to f/38
- One Aspherical Element, One ED Element
3. Nikon AF-S DX 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR – Best All-In-One Zoom Lens
This lens is a better choice than the Nikon 18-140mm lens with an impressive extended zoom range up to 300mm. The zoom range is large so that you don’t need lens exchange, in addition to its light weight makes it the favorite all in one zoom lens for many photographers who want bring only one lens on their vacations.
The AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300 mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR has a built-in focusing motor, therefore, its fully compatible with the Nikon D3500 and D3400.
Whether you want to photograph a group of people, personal portraits, wildlife or landscapes the Nikon AF-S DX 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR will do a great job.
See also the Sigma 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 lens for Nikon D3500 and Nikon D3400 at a low price.
- Maximum magnification of 032x
- Angle of view from 76 degree to 5 degree 20'.Focal Length Range : 18 300 millimeter, Minimum Focus Distance : 16 feet ( 048 meter)
- Aperture range from f/35 to f/22
- Angle of view from 76 to 520'
4. Nikon AF-P DX 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G VR – Best Ultra Wide-Angle Lens
The Nikon 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6G is one of the best budget Ultra-Wide lenses for the Nikon D3500 & D3400. This lens has been introduced by Nikon earlier in 2017. In The past years, there was the Nikon 10-20mm lens which is considered to be a great DX lens but it is quite expensive at about $900 so Nikon decided to make much more affordable ultra-wide lens to allow many beginners on limited budgets to explore the capabilities of the ultra-wide lenses.
In terms of the build quality, the lens is made of hard plastic as with most Nikon inexpensive lenses with plastic mount. The lens measures at 80mm long with the small and lightweight body at only 256g which makes it very easy to carry.
One of the specifications that you have to bear in mind is that the lens has no switches (VR or AF) as a result the VR is always open and has no manual focus features and the Auto-Focus is fully compatible with the Nikon D3500 and Nikon D3400.
The lens produces high-quality images with good sharpness, well-saturated colors and can handle flare very nicely which makes it a very interesting lens for certain types of photography such as Landscapes, cityscapes, nature, and architecture photography at a very decent price.
Also, check this lens bundle that ships with filter kit and cleaning accessories.
- Ultra-wide-angle view that surpasses any Kit Lens and lets you get creative with Composition
- Compact, lightweight, durable design that's great for travel and outings.Angle of view:109 deg to 70 deg
- Outstanding Optics deliver beautiful photos and videos, even in challenging situations
- Near-silent autofocus stepping motor is ideal for recording video. Compatible format(s) DX
- Vibration reduction (VR) image stabilization keeps handheld photos and videos sharp and helps with Low-light shooting.Accepts Filter Type:Screw-on
5. Nikon AF-P DX 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR – Best Zoom Lens
This lens is fully compatible with Nikon D3500 & Nikon D3400 and the Auto-Focus is working at the best price. Or get the renewed version and save more money.
- Nikon VR image stabilization, Bundle Includes: UV Filter, Lens Cap Keeper Holder, Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
- F-mount lens/DX formatfilter-attachment size: 58mm, (p = 075 mm)
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 0.22x. 105-450Mm (35mm equivalent)
- Aperture range: f/4.5-6.3 to F/32
- Fully compatible Models: D7500, D5600, D5500, D5300*, D3400, D3300*, D500 and later models Compatible Models with limited functions: D5, D810 series, DF, D750, D7200, D7100, D5200, Nikon 1 Series with the ft1 Incompatible models: D4 series, D3 series, D2 series, D1 series, D800 series, D700, D610, D600, D300 series, D200, D100, D7000, D5100, D5000, D90, D80, D70 series, D3200, D3100, D3000, D60, D50, D40 series, film cameras